Dental Crowns in Woodbridge, ON
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a fixed prosthetic device that is tooth-shaped. It may also be referred to as a dental cap. It is a hollow outer artificial tooth shell that is used to cover a tooth. It is permanently cemented on top of your existing tooth or cemented on top of a dental implant and can only be removed by a dentist.
When is it used?
A dental crown is used to for many purposes. It is used to strengthen a tooth that has too many dental fillings and not enough remaining tooth structure. It is also used for cosmetic purposes by enhancing the size, shape, and appearance of a decayed or misshapen tooth. Dental crowns are made to match the appearance of your natural teeth for a natural look.
Dental crowns may also be used after having a root canal procedure. It is also used on top of a dental implant to serve the function and look of nearby teeth.
Dental crown materials
Dental crowns can be made from a variety of materials, so your dentist will discuss the best option for your needs. Dental crowns can be made of composite tooth-coloured materials, gold, silver, porcelain, or a combination of these materials.
What is the process?
- Your dentist will give you a local anaesthetic to numb the affected area.
- To create room for the dental crown that will be placed on top of your tooth, your dentist will file down a portion of the tooth that will be restored. This is also referred to as preparing the tooth or prepping the tooth.
- A dental impression of the prepared tooth is taken next. The impression is used to create the dental crown for a perfect fit.
- A temporary crown may be placed on the prepared tooth until the permanent crown is created from the impression material.
- Once the permanent dental crown is ready, your dentist will remove the temporary crown and permanently cement the final crown. Your dentist will ensure that the size, shape, fit and bite is perfect before the crown is permanently cemented into place.
If you are interested in learning how a dental crown can restore function, improve the appearance of a tooth, or if you have any questions, call us now: (905) 605-5020.